작성자 고슴도치
댓글 1건 조회 2,335회 작성일 13-01-05 00:50

본문

[기획-23]요즘 어떻게 지내십니까?-조재길 세리토스 시의원 대담

글쓴이 : 손세영 편집위… 날자 : 2013-01-05 (토)  btn_singo2.gif btn_print.gif

1662740850_CxHyIDBT_5-chojaekil2012-03.jpg

[
기획-23]요즘 어떻게 지내십니까?-조재길 시의원과 대담<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

[세리토스=민족통신 손세영 편집위원]재미동포사회에서 민주운동과 통일운동을 하다가 미국 1662740850_1d6fefd6_5-chojaekil2012-02.jpg
주류사회
지방정치인으로 활약하고 있는 죠셉 시의원(69) 집무실을 방문하고, 근황과 함께 그동안 지나 이야기들을 들었다.

그는 새해 첫날 일을 했다. 조국반도의 상황이 이상 정전협정에 머물러서는 안된다고 결심하고 오바마 미국 대통령에게 정전협정을 평화협정으로 전환해야 한다고 요청하는 내용의 편지를 보냈노라고 밝히면서 다음과 같이 서두를 꺼낸다.

새해 첫날 저는 오바마 대통령에게 재선의 성공을 축하하는 인사와 함께 재임기간중 코리아전쟁이 지난 60 동안 아직까지 휴전협정으로 남아 있어 안타깝다. 이것을 평화협정으로 바꾸어 한반도에 평화가 정착될 있도록 노력해 것을 청원하는 편지(별첨) 썼다. 그리고 백악관으로 발송한 편지의 사본을 나의 지역구 연방 , 하의원과 개인적으로 친분이 있는 하원의원들에게도 보냈다. 또한 오는 1 17 부터 22일까지 워싱턴 디씨를 방문해 전미주 시장회의와 오바마 대통령 취임식에 참석하고 ,하의원들을 직접 방문해 나의 의견을 직접 나눌 계획이다라고 자신의 신년계획을 설명한다.

그는 이어서 자신이 담고 있는 세리토스 시행정부를 위해 지난 2012년에는 수년간 지속된 불경기에다 캘리포니아 주정부가 만성적인 적자해소방안으로 시정부의 재개발계획을 전면 폐기해 세리토스시 역시 심각한 재정적 어려움을 겪고 있다. 다행히 저희 세리토스시는 긴축재정으로 판매세 수입 감소를 극복하고 예비 재원을 효율적으로 활용해 사람의 직원도 감원하지 않고 주민들에게 계속 좋은 서비스를 제공하고 있다. 앞으로 주정부로 부터 시재원을 보호하고 재정건전화방안을 마련해 세리토스시의 새로운 활로를 열기 위해 더욱 노력하겠다

댓글목록

profile_image

고슴도치님의 댓글

고슴도치 작성일

이어서...

그는 이어서 자신이 몸 담고 있는 세리토스 시행정부를 위해 “지난 2012년에는 수년간 지속된 불경기에다 캘리포니아 주정부가 만성적인 적자해소방안으로 시정부의 재개발계획을 전면 폐기해 세리토스시 역시 심각한 재정적 어려움을 겪고 있다. 다행히 저희 세리토스시는 긴축재정으로 판매세 수입 감소를 극복하고 예비 재원을 효율적으로 활용해 한 사람의 시 직원도 감원하지 않고 주민들에게 계속 좋은 서비스를 제공하고 있다. 앞으로 주정부로 부터 시재원을 보호하고 재정건전화방안을 마련해 세리토스시의 새로운 활로를 열기 위해 더욱 노력하겠다”고 지방정부 정치발전에 대한 포부도 밝힌다.

그는 또 개인적인 취미가 마라톤이라고 소개하면서 작년 11월에 서울에서 개최된 중앙마라톤 대회에 참석한 경험을 비롯하여 지난 한해 동안에 9차례의 마라톤 대회에 출전하여 4시간18분34초의 기록도 보유하고 있기 때문에 2014년 보스턴 마라톤 대회 출전자격권을 보유하고 있다고 소개하고, 금년 2013년 3월에 서울서 열리는 동아마라톤 대회, 그리고 평양서 열리는 4월 마라톤 대회에도 참가할 생각이다”라고 말한다.

조재길 시의원은 남과 북에서 열리는 마라톤 대회에 참가할 구상에 대해서는 “금년 7월27일이 우리 조국에서 일어난 전쟁이 휴전된지 60주년이 되기 때문에 한국계 미국인으로서 우리들에게 주어진 소명이 무엇이겠는가를 심각하게 고민한 결과 무엇보다 조국반도에는 평화가 가장 중요한 화두가 되어야 한다고 생각했다”고 강조하면서 ‘남북간의 갈등이 절대로 전쟁으로 번져서는 안된다. 한반도에서 전쟁이란 핵전쟁이다. 핵전쟁이 터지면 남도 북도 큰일 날 일이다”라고 힘주어 말한다.

그는 미국생활 40년 가까이 지내면서 로스엔젤레스 카운티 공무원(전산국 매니저 보), 제일부동산 경영 등에 종사하다가 주간지 ‘코리안스트릿저널’, 일간 ‘라성일보’ 등 언론기관도 운영하였고, 그리고 문필활동 및 인쇄업 등에 종사하며 과외시간을 통해 1980년대에 한국민주화운동, 1990년대에 조국통일운동에도 참여한바 있었고, 2000년대에 들어와서는 미국주류사회 정치권에 입문하여 세리토스 시의회 시의원으로 당선되어 활동하다가 2010년에는 시장직을 거쳤고, 2012년에 다시 시의원으로 재선되어 임기는 오는 2015년까지로 되어 있다고 설명한다.

조재길 시의원은 이미 5권의 도서를 출판할 정도로 저자로서도 활발한 업적을 남겼다. 1990년 방북한 이후 ‘북한은 변하고 있는가’(1990년 출판)를 발행했고, 그 이후  ‘한반도 핵문제 해결방안’(1993년), ‘한반도 핵문제와 통일’(1994년), ‘통일로 가는 길이 달라진다’(1998년), ‘북핵 위기와 한반도 평화의 길’(2006년), 그리고 재미동포 최초의 미국 세리토스 시장으로 부상한 시기인 2010년10월11일 한울출판사에서 그의 자서전 ‘소명’을 출판한바 있다.

기자는 그의 새해 소망에 대해 질문하자 그는 “남은 생애를 인류사회의 평화와 한반도 평화문제에 관심을 갖고 기여하고 싶다”고 피력하면서 그것을 위해 한라산에서 백두산까지 956킬로메터를 마라톤으로 뛰며 평화를 소리높이 외치고 싶은 것이 나의 소망이다. 하루 20킬로메터 정도 뛴다면 50일에 완주할 수 있다. 그렇게 되면 나의 진정성이 무엇이겠는가를 세상에 전할 수 있지 않겠나라고 생각한다”고 진지한 표정으로 말한다.

그는 1943년 2월16일 충북단양에서 출생, 서울대학교 사범대학을 졸업하고 오산고등학교와 보성고등학교에서 교사로 활약하다가 1974년에 미국으로 이주했다. 미국에서는 캘리포니아 주립대학 노스리지에서 대학원을 졸업하고 2006년에 중국 연변대학에서 역사학 박사학위를 취득했다.

재미동포사회에서 사회활동으로는 남가주언론동우회 회장, 조국통일범민족연합 재미본부 중앙위원, 미주동포전국협회(NAKA) 부회장, 통일마당 부회장, 남가주공군사관장교회 이사장, 휴버트 에치 험프리 민주당위원회 이사 등의 경력을 갖고 있다.

조재길 시의원은 부인 루시 조여사와 2남1녀를 두고 있다. 장남은 변호사, 차남은 시 검사, 딸은 변호사로 활약하고 있다.

*연락문의처:

전자우편주소는 josephjcho@ymail.com  이며 직통전화는 (562)547-4434

*아래는 죠셉 조(조재길) 캘리포니아주 세리토스 시의원이 2013년 1월1일자로 오바마 미국 대통령에게 지접 보낸 편지내용이다. 이 편지는 바바라 박서 연방상원의원과 다이아나 파인슈타인 연방상원의원과 일부 연방하원의원들에게도 보냈다.

January 1, 2013

President Barack Obama

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

Re: Peace Agreement with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea to coincide with the 60th Anniversary of the July 27, 1953 Korean War Armistice Agreement

Dear President Obama,

I would like to wish First Lady Michelle, Malia, Sasha and you a Happy New Year.

I am Joseph Cho, Ph.D., a Council member and former Mayor of the City of Cerritos, California. It gives me great pleasure to recall your historical inauguration ceremony of 2008, which I attended along with my wife Lucy and our children Andy, Tony and Jia at the Nation’s Capitol Park four years ago. I am planning a trip to Washington D.C. from January 17 - 22, 2013 to attend the National Conference of Mayors and your second inauguration ceremony.

I would like to thank you for your efforts and achievements of overcoming the worst economic depression since World War II and of reforming the health care system that several former Presidents tried to reform, but failed. I also commend you for bringing an end to the Iraq War and for the successful operation which brought Osama Bin Laden to justice. I sincerely congratulate your re-election which was a direct result of the voters’ fair evaluation of your achievements during your first term. I am sure that you will do your best for a fast economic recovery and ending the Afghanistan War, which will bring our young soldiers home soon.

As a Korean-American citizen who has studied North Korea since the 1980s and published four books regarding the Korean peninsula issue (see enclosure), I am writing this letter to ask my President to work for a Peace Agreement with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) with a timing designed to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the Korean

War Armistice Agreement, which will occur on July 27, 2013. Since officially the Korean War never ended, as the armistice agreement only brought a succession in fighting, you have an opportunity to bring peace to the Korean peninsula and Northeast Asia as part of your legacy.

First, I would like to thank the young American soldiers who sacrificed some sixty years ago for the cause of protecting the freedom and liberty of my native country: the Republic of Korea (ROK). I think I can speak for the entire Korean People, when I say that I greatly appreciate the role that the US government and its citizens played in helping with the reconstruction, economic development and national security of the ROK over the past 60 years. With your gracious support, the ROK has achieved miraculous economic growth resulting in the evolution from a third world country in the 1950’s into a thriving country with an economy that is ranked 13th largest in the world today.

However, despite the amazing development of South Korea, the Korean peninsula remains in a state of ideological and political antagonism, with conditions that are unstable due to military competition and nuclear development. The peninsula is at risk of war breaking at any moment, and not only due to North Korea’s nuclear and missile capabilities. Over the years there have been frequent skirmishes along the Northern Limit Line (NLL) in the Yellow (West) Sea and along the demilitarized zone (DMZ). With the situation so tense in the Korean Peninsula, any skirmish could potentially spiral into a full-scale war and might destroy all the achievements made in the past six decades.

A war almost broke out twice in 2010, when in March North Korea first sank a South Korean vessel, Cheonan, killing 46 sailors, and then in November North Korea bombed the Island of Yeonpyeong, killing four people. Due to the state of military tension, the Korean Peninsula is the region with the highest risk in the world for the outbreak of a nuclear war which would be fatal to peace and economic development of Northeast Asia and the world.

About an hour north of the prosperous City of Seoul, South Korea, on the other side of the DMZ, people are suffering from shortages of food and energy. The military control in the DPRK is depriving its citizens of basic human rights. Lots of North Korean refugees have crossed the border in search of food and freedom. Many of them have had opportunities to settle in South Korea and some in the United States, but most have gone to China and other neighboring countries where their situation is not as good as in the US or South Korea. There is no doubt that this tragic situation in the DPRK has been caused by the communist policies and military dictatorship, which have proved themselves during the 20th century to be failures.

Now, most of the former communist countries, such as the Soviet Union and its satellite countries have lifted the bans, reformed their systems and joined the new world, but the DPRK has not made any reforms. The DPRK is one of few countries still left in the world today to have the same failed system that was in place in 1950s. Based on my research, it is only because North Korea has had antagonistic relations with the U.S. that they could not open their gates. For over 30 years, I have seen what I believe to be North Korea’s continuous efforts to try to open its door and reform its system, but fail due to the state of war with the U.S. No businessperson would want to make deals or invest his/her capital in such an unstable country as North Korea. The resolution of this issue demands the highest priority for the sake of putting an end to the state of war on the Korean Peninsula.

As the North Korean nuclear issue began with the failure to bring a formal end to the Korean War, the path to resolution and the construction of a peaceful order lies in the settling of North Korean - U.S. hostilities and the normalization of relations. North Korea has consistently stated that in return for its abandonment of nuclear development, it expects peaceful coexistence with the U.S. Similarly, the other nations of the Six Party Talks, namely Japan, Russia, South Korea and China, also desire a peaceful resolution to the nuclear issue. This past year, there have been new leaderships in both North and South Korea, China, Russia and Japan. The U.S. is therefore in a unique role to initiate a conversion of the Armistice Agreement of the Korean War into a Peace Agreement, and bring a formal end to the Korean War. A peace agreement with the DPRK would be in line with the US strategic interests on the Korean Peninsula and Northeast Asia.

With a peace agreement, North Korea could become a normal country, which could allow it to improve its people’s wellbeing and become a new partner of the U.S., just like South Korea. This could lead to the development of the economy of Northeast Asia, and a cooperative security framework. As a peaceful order is established after the peace agreement and abandonment of nuclear weapons, it will be desirable that permanent institutions be established on the model of the Six Party Talks to deal with culture, economics and security cooperation in Northeast Asian. Northeast Asia could be the 21st Century gold rush, which would stimulate the economy of the U.S. and the world, and help us to overcome this serious recession.

In conclusion, I would like to ask my President to work for a Peace Agreement with the DPRK and take advantage of this unique opportunity of the upcoming 60th Anniversary of the Armistice Agreement of the Korean War on July 27, 2013 and bring peace to the Korean peninsula and Northeast Asia during your presidency.

Sincerely yours,

Joseph Cho, Ph.D.

Councilman, City of Cerritos

Enclosure: biography and bibliography

cc: Hon. Barbara Boxer (CA), Hon. Dianne Feinstein (CA), Hon. Linda Sanchez (CA-38), Hon. Judy Cho (CA-27), Hon. John Garamendi (CA-3), Hon. Grace Napolitano (CA-32)

서비스이용약관 모바일 버전으로 보기 상단으로

Copyright © 2010 - 2023 www.hanseattle1.com All rights reserved.